Thursday, April 23, 2009

trim inventory

Today I spent 45 minutes finishing trim inventory (242 hours on windows to date) so I know what to buy. I had to measure all remaining windows to see what I needed and then see what I had and calculate the best best layout to buy least amount of additional trim.

Our prior incompetent contractro (PIC) screwed up the initial calculation so badly that I have to buy 16 6' lengths of trim, assuming they sell them, may have to buy 7'. That's really bad, although we did have to replace some windows twice party because of his screwups.

I also updated board on which I track woodwork - it's very important to do things in right order. The windows are at all different stages of completion, there's a lot to keep track of and I have to watch critical path. It's too much to try and coat all windows at once - can't find 8 hours of time to do a coat of shellac so I have to break it down into smaller chunks.

I've been tackling the woodwork in small increments - I'm feeling really overwhelmed and discouraged by the slow progress. I find it's better to do a little than none, and a little on most days will get the job done. I was hoping to do a coat every 1-2 weeks, but last coat was 3/13. I'll be lucky to do next coat in 2 months. Ugh. I feel like PIC - that's the way his schedule was, but at least I'm not a professional and I only answer to myself and C.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home