Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Update

We didn't get much done in the fall because I was in an 80-hour per week graduate program, which I have since put on hold. We were then traveling over the holidays for 3 weeks. It took a while to get caught up and back into a routine, and so we gradually got back to remodeling work in February.

The big news is we are finished with Phase I of the remodel. This was the heavy-duty stuff, most of which required contractors. The main goals of Phase I were to move in and get the yard dog-ready, both of which have happened. We are now into Phase II, which has many projects we are going to do (fewer and smaller contractor jobs - yay!). Some of the projects in Phase II include:

Set up closet systems in office and master bedroom closets
Install shower curtain on ceiling mounted curtain track
Get new garage door and install person door and windows in garage
Install drywall and shelving in garage
Clean and seal concrete garage floor
Finish wood trim on interior of house windows, purchase and install shades
Patch and repaint interior of house
Install flooring
Continue unpacking as space becomes available in house

The place will be far from done, but it will be a lot more comfortable at the end of this phase. I expect this phase to take about 2 years, assuming the current rate of progress. I am thrilled it is "only" 2 years, C is bummed it is going to take that long.

In early January (1/5/08), I wrote about some of the hidden costs of remodeling. What I didn't understand at that time was that I was in a serious case of burnout. For people that don't understand burnout, it is very different from being stressed out. Here is a quick read that describes the difference. My case of burnout came from consistent 15-hour days, 7 day work weeks, too few vacations and constant pressure to get things done. Living in a chaotic mess doesn't help either. I'm not saying I regret the decision to buy this house, nor do I know how I would have managed things differently, but burnout is bad. Avoid it if you can - it really diminishes the quality of your life and takes a long time to recover from.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home