Friday, January 05, 2007

Progress today!

After a gut wrenching three days, I think we have some progress. I mean it was literally gut wrenching - my stomach has been killing me! We came up with the idea of proposing an "amiable separation" to the contractor. I told him last night, and he didn't like the idea. I asked him to think about it and call me today. He did, and initially he still didn't want to do it. We discussed it for a while, and I explained that I felt this was the best option for both of us. I also explained we could sign an agreement which would alleviate any concerns either of us had. I sent the agreement over to him earlier tonight.

I really do think it is best for several reasons. I can get on with the job, and he can move on to other things. He is too far away and too busy to get here with any regularity, and I've found local people who I think may work out. Aside from installing the appliances and bathroom floor, a lot of the work could be done by a carpenter or handyman. It's time to get someone in here who wants to be doing these small jobs. I feel much better about being able to take action instead of waiting around.

I feel a huge sense of relief tonight, and can't wait to move forward. I already found a franchised handyman service with a local branch. They have excellent ratings on the Better Business Bureau and Angieslist.com, a consumer referral service I use a lot. All of their techs are bonded and insured, and they are supervised by a licensed general contractor. Their prices aren't cheap, but for some of the jobs that require more skill they would be a good match. I've already hired them for a small job not related to the contractors work in order to test them out. If it works out, I'll have them do the bathroom floor. We are installing cork flooring in the bath, and the toilet needs to be pulled up, the flooring put down, behind the toilet primed and painted and then the toilet needs to be reset. It's not that difficult, but the connection between the toilet and floor and sewer pipe needs to be adjusted when the floor height changes. I've seen first hand the damage a poorly installed, leaking toilet can do. The water leaks out and damages the subfloor, finish flooring and possible the joists. If this happens, it is a huge repair.

I also got a few referrals to installers for the appliances from the place we purchased them. I'll be calling them next week.

So, all in all, I feel really hopeful at this point. The stagnation was the worst part. I like being in action.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home