Thursday, May 24, 2007

more new windows

While I am bummed about the painful way this window project has unfolded, I do love the new windows! They are just so big, bright and beautiful. They bring so much light into the house, even into the hallway. The view out is much better too. Today the crew was able to do the two windows in our bedroom. I think they are getting faster now that they have done one window and know what they are dealing with. They've tripped the breaker in each room though by trying to plug in tools. We have AFCI (Arc Fault Circuit Interupters) in our bedrooms as required by code. These are super-sensitive circuits (more so than GFCI or Ground Fault Circuit Interupter that have to be installed near water) that will trip the breaker at the slightest power surge. A power tool has a brief surge when it turns on that is too much for the circuit.

Our two bedroom windows are adjacent to each other on two walls that form a corner of the room. The crew installed the windows at a height of 38" and leveled the windows from sill to sill. What we didn't realize is that the floor slopes so badly that in the span of about 5 feet the floor to sill height differs by 1/2"! Wow, that is some slope.

I was quite productive today, and worked on lots of little things - I worked on the towel cubby int he bathroom, I cleaned the paint and stucco splatters of the bathroom window, I filled the yard waste can with cut ivy, and did some organizing and decluttering. I really love to organize, and declutter so after I get done a bit on each to-do list, I use that as a reward. It's a good system because the reward is something that is productive and benefits the house progress.

Here is one of the new windows framed. You can see how much bigger it is than the old one.




Here is the outside of the house with one new window framed.

Here is the finished job. The room looks dark in this photo due to the way the light sensor works on my camera.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home