Friday, June 01, 2007

Drywall and outside waterproofing

Yesterday and today, the contractor's crew was out putting up the drywall inside and then patching the waterproof paper outside as well as putting up lath outside to hold the stucco. They finished right on schedule. The inspection is Tuesday.

Our house is a mix of plaster and drywall. The parts of the house where no remodeling has happened are plaster and the parts where remodeling has happened (by us or previous owners) is drywall. When the contractors were putting up the drywall, they used firring strips to make up the difference in thickness (plaster is thicker). I thought this was very clever and much better than putting up drywall and using mud to do a low-quality patch.

Here is a shot of the firring strips. You can see a vertical one to the left of the light-colored wood of the window and a horizontal one on top of the window. Another runs at the ceiling.


They even put back the insulation, which I was pleasantly surprised at. I didn't negociate this in my contract, and because I didn't think of it I assumed C and I would have to do it ourselves before they did the drywall.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home