Tuesday, July 17, 2007

lots of progress on different things

I got my sandblast permit today after receiving the faxed lead report yesterday. I had to tell the guy at the counter how to read the lead test since they don't usually get x-ray tests. I also worked on the window trim for the first time since March, when we found out our windows didn't meet code. I didn't want to keep investing time until they all passed final inspection. It's a really tedious task, and I can only handle about half an hour a day on it (I did manage 45 minutes today). I've already invested hundreds of hours and I'm not even a third done. Why so much time? I am shellacking the inside wood trim and each surface needs to be shallacked, steel wooled 3 times and then buffed with old denim. Each window needs to be done in about 6 sections so there are no wet surfaces facing each other. If I had been willing to setting for painted trim, I could have been long done. This is another culprit in the long time things are taking - I like things done right and my standards are high. I simply love the way shellac looks and am committed to getting it. I think a lot of people would have balked at the time and effort required and not done it. I am currently trying to get one room ready for shades so that my mom can help me buy them in August when she visits.

I worked on waxing the countertop, which I am way overdue on. The DIY guy from whom we bought all our concrete products from recommends waxing your concrete countertop once a month, but I've been pleased with the results of doing it once every other month. This time thought, it should have been done in April and I'm just getting to it now. Welcome to my life!

I also worked on the curtain track for the shower curtain. So much of this project is planning, measuring, calculating and problem solving. The actual hanging shouldn't take long at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home