Friday, August 10, 2007

$56 on lightbulbs?!?!?

Yes, I really did spend $56 on lightbulbs today. I was shocked.

In order to meet the electrical code, we had to install a lot of different kinds of fixtures, many fluorescent. As a result, we use 9 different lightbulbs in the house only one of which is a "normal" bulb you could buy at the supermarket. The rest I have to buy at a lightbulb store (don't laugh, we have two near here!) or some can be purchased at a home improvement store.

Holy errands Batman! I could just imagine running the lightbulb store every few weeks (I've been there twice recently since we've now lived here 14 months and the bulbs are starting to burn out). In order to manage this lightlbulb situation, I set up a system. How absurd is that, to need a system to manage your lightbulbs? I set aside and entire, large drawer for bulbs and each time one burns out I go to the bulb store and get one to replace it plus one extra.

The bathroom main light burned out this week and there were two bulbs. I removed them and took them to the bulb store (they are very knowledgeable and helpful) and asked for replacements (4 - 2 for now and 2 extra). The bulb didn't have the wattage on it, but fortunately the guy was able to guess. He said it was a cheap no-name bulb (it came with the fixture, so it's not surprising).

I was shocked to see that the 4 bulbs cost $56! For lightbulbs? They better last a lot longer than a year at that price ($13 each). Although I appreciate the energy savings of fluorescent lights, I see a lot of downsides. One is the fact that you do have to go someplace other than your supermarket to buy them. This creates extra trips and pollution (although surely not enough to negate the energy savings). It creates extra scheduling for homeowners. I think the light from fluorescent lightbulbs is not as nice as regular bulbs. I don't like the effect on people, food and decor. Finally, fluorescent lights have mercury in them. If you break one, you have mercury in your house. They have to be disposed of at your local hazardous materials drop off. More car trips and scheduling. So, yes I have them, and will keep them but I do hate them.

I was telling someone of my lightbulb purchase and he suggested I change the fixture. One of my contractors told me this is quite common in this city - people put in fluorescents to get past inspection and then change all the fixtures to regular once the final inspection is done. This cannot be very environmentally friendly. I explained to him that first, the fixture was quite expensive and I am not so quick to throw that money away. Second, aside from expensive bulbs, I like the fixture. It has a regular light, heater and nightlight. The heater is so nice for winter mornings, and the nightlight is great for not killing your eyes and waking you up in the middle of the night. Third, the new bulbs which are made by GE might last longer than a year. The problem may be that the bulbs that came with the fixture were cheap. Finally, the fixture is integral in the ceiling. It's not a simple matter of taking it down and screwing a new one in (though many fixtures are). The fan is in the fixture, and the vent for the fan goes up and through the roof. This would have to be changed. The actual ceiling rafters are framed around the fixture since it is bigger than the gap between the rafters. The drywall is cut around it as well. In other words, changing this fixture would be a very big deal. Oh, and no, I can't just put regular bulbs in. The electrical code requires fluorescent bulbs with 4 pins so the fixture will only take these. Fortunately, I am happy with my choice except for the expensive bulbs and that may prove not to be a problem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home