Friday, January 26, 2007

Yahoo, real silverware

Yes, it's true, we finally have real silverware. After 8 months of using plastic, it finally turned up. I had lost hope we would ever find it. I thought maybe it just got lost in the move. But I did find it hidden in a box of old paper files. We still have lots of unpacked boxes, and it's not that we don't want to or can't unpack or have been too busy or lazy, it's that there is no place for things to go. We still can't use a lot of the kitchen cabinetry because we are having a soffit installed. There are still no closets in the house (I removed every last thing the previous owners had installed. They did some strang things with industrial shelving, and the closets were just gross! There were brown stains, greasy dust and filth everythwhere. I am finally almost able to outfit one closet now. )

I also found a cutting board as well, and it will be such a treat not trying to cut on a plate. I got the spices in order too, and while this may seem like a small thing, it is an improvement in our quality of life to not have things falling on your head as you try to find the chilli powder. Each small area we can get moved in to helps.

Here is a shot of my newly organized spice cabinet:




One question or comment I get a lot reflects the fact that people think nobody lives in our house. It is quite discouraging since we have owned the place for over a year, and have lived here for 8 months. It is also a problem because we don't want people thinking the place is vacant and breaking in at night. Sometimes neighbors will stop by and ask, "Oh, are you the new owners? When are you moving in?" I'll say we've lived here for 8 months, and they get that look that people get when they ask a woman when the baby is due and she says "I'm not pregnant." It is surprising to me that people would assume the place is vacant - all the signs of life are there - cars in and out, trash cans out every week, newspapers and mail taken in, lights off and on, work done every day, etc. In addition, the place looks better than it has in years, even if it still looks bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home