Friday, December 05, 2008

Some progress, icky jobs done

I did the annual changing of the furnace filter today. Thanks to our plumber's incompetence, it's a much harder job than it needs to be. He didn't know we had to reinforce the roof when the hung the heater from it, even though two different inspectors said it's a common requirement. Because of that, we had to have the reinforcement done after the heater was installed and it partially blocks the slot where the filter goes in. Last year, I didn't close the heater door properly and it wouldn't work, requiring me to trouble shoot it. This year, I made sure to close it correctly and make sure the indicator light as on "OK" before I finished.

I also insulated attic trap door with extra insulation lying around the attic. Once we had the roof ventilation put in the heat could go right out the attic so it was important to get this done before we need heat for the winter. I added weatherstripping as well so the heat couldn't get through the cracks around the trap door. It's funny to find out I know more than I think I do. I knew that a draft could get around the trap door and knew how to fix it. I don't think I knew that before having this house.

I prepped the windows for shellack. I am happy to be getting back into this project which has been stalled for a year. Shellack is a beautiful, non-toxic and environmentally friendly product, so I am please with my choice but it takes forever to apply. I've started keeping track of my time just to know how much time the windows take.

Total time on windows to date: 201.25

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home