Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Why finish carpenters make $

Today I spent 1.25 hours on the windows and didn't even get the first piece of trim up on the door I am working on. This is after spending an hour on this door's trim already. I tried to use the miter saw and the laser sight didn't work. Of course there is nothing in the manual about trouble shooting or maintenance on this, the most IMPORTANT feature which was printed in BIG RED LETTERS on the box. I thought it might be the batteries (even though there is hardly any time on the current ones) so I went out and got new batteries. I cleaned the battery compartment and the laser lens and got nothing. I decided to keep going anyway and do the best possible.

I messed up my first piece - because of where the saw is set up, I can only have the length of a long piece to my right. I mixed up my miter and cut it at the wrong 45 degree angle. Cutting the second piece went fine but it was very difficult to install because of the hinges. Since I didn't have the laser, I kept shaving off very small bits of length until I got it as close as possible. One more cut may have made it too short, and if there is any problem with the length it will be concealed at the top of the door.

Total on windows and woodwork to date: 254 hours

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home