Monday, October 16, 2006

Running around for concrete today

Since we are on a tight time frame, I worked on getting a piece of tile to use as an inlay today. Even though we are not sure we can actually use it, I had to get prepared today because sometimes these things need to be special ordered, and it might take a few tries to find the right thing.

I originally wanted some marble surface in the kitchen. Marble is supposed to be the best for any kind of dough because it keeps itself cold. But realistically, I wouldn't even use such a surface more than a few times a year. Marble is pourous and can stain easily, so the trade-off didn't seem worth it. We decided to go with a granite inlay - granite comes in nice smooth, pre-finished tiles in sizes up to 24"x24" and they are not too thick. After talking to someone in the first tile store, I found out polished porcelan would work too. I prefer granite though because it is really hard.

The day was spent with an early run to Home Depot to return the mixer, followed by several hours of driving around to tile stores and then a late run to Home Depot to return the extension cord that I had forgotten in the morning.

It was worth it though - we ended up with an inexpensive piece of black granite in a color called Black Galaxy. It has copper colored shiny flecks throughout it and I think it will look great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home